Mugwort, also known as Artemisia, has replaced ''Cica'' as the most popular ingredient in Korean skincare recently. In recent years, the trend of Korean skincare has changed orientation from the 10-step skincare routine to simpler and cleaner formulas with more natural ingredients. Korean skincare in 2020 is all about adding clean, simple but effective ingredients into the skincare routine to help soothe, heal and protect the skin better. Having said all of the above, what is Mugwort? Why is it so popular and what benefits can it bring to our skin? If you are also wondering about these, keep reading.
What is mugwort?
To be brief, mugwort is a weed, but not a normal weed. It has a long history that can be dated back to the 5th century when it was regarded as a sacred herb. Then it was planted on the countryside path by the Romans to help passengers rest their feet. In Korea, mugwort has another name called ssuk and can be used in drinks as ssukcha. It is also commonly used in culinary dishes and Chinese, Korean and Japanese traditional medicine to treat indigestion, boost blood circulation and relieve menstrual cramps. Nowadays, mugwort is increasingly used in Korean skincare products.
Mugwort as an ingredient is highly efficient. From flowers and leaves to roots, each part of it can be used and used in different ways. It can be made into nourishing creams, dried herbs, powders, and teas.
What benefit does mugwort have for the skin?
- Treat Acne-prone skin: Thanks to its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, mugwort also has the potential to help acne-prone skin treat breakouts caused by bacteria and fungal.
- Sooth and moisturise dry and irritated skin: by its antioxidant properties.
- Anti-aging effect: Mature, aging skin would benefit a lot from its antioxidant properties, which can help prevent damage caused by oxygen free-radicals while stimulating collagen production to reduce fine lines.
- Makes skin look more radiant: thanks to its moisturising and soothing redness effect, mugwort is ideal for healthier and glowing skin.
With so many usages and benefits, it is no wonder that mugwort can be the ' ingredient’ of Korean skincare in 2020.
What are the best ways to add mugwort into your skincare routine?
After knowing all the good things about mugwort, you must wonder how to incorporate mugwort into your skincare routine. Glam Touch team has selected two star products that contain mugwort for you to indulge with.
1. Missha Time Revolution Artemisia Treatment Essence 150ml
If you decide to become a big fan of magic mugwort, you definitely should try Missha Time Revolution Artemisia Treatment Essence. It is a concentrated essence formulated with double fermented Artemisia Annua Extract (100%). This enhancing formulation strengthens the powerful anti-inflammatory properties of mugwort to help soothe and calm red, sensitive skin for hydrated and translucent skin.
2. Briskin Origin Nature Mask - Mugwort
If you want to give mugwort a try before announcing your love towards it, pick Briskin Origin Nature Masks - Mugwort. It is an affordable sheet mask created by 100% natural ingredients with more than 50% mugwort. The sheet can fit into your skin softly and comfortably while bringing moisture and vitality to your skin through mugwort ingredients.
Would you become a fan of mugwort? I am in!